Libyans: Al-Qaida handled security at U.S. Embassy.Documents show assignment ran through at least spring of this year.
A secret document obtained by former Muslim Brotherhood member Walid Shoebat suggests the Obama administration approved assigning a member of al-Qaida to handle security at the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli. According to a report published today by Shoebat, a letter dated Aug. 30, 2011, informed the al-Qaida member he had responsibility for security in Tripoli “to include all international embassies.” The letter was to Abdel Hakim al-Khowailidi Belhaj and signed by Mustafa Muhammad Abdul Jalil on behalf of the National Transitional Council, with which the U.S. was working after Moammar Gadhafi fell from power in Libya. Belhaj previously has been described by al-Qaida kingpin Ayman al-Zawahiri as “the amir of the mujahideen, the patient and steadfast [Belhaj].”
Shoebat, who was joined by talk-show host Ben Barrack in the investigation of the document, said the letter was from “a treasure trove of secret documents” obtained by a Libyan source. “It shows that in supporting the removal of Gadhafi, the Obama administration seemed to sign on to an arrangement that left forces loyal to al-Qaida in charge of security at the U.S. embassy in Tripoli from 2011 through at least the spring of 2012”. “We would like to inform you that you have been commissioned to the duties and responsibilities of the military committee of the city of Tripoli. These include taking all necessary procedures to secure the safety of the Capital and its citizens, its public and private property, and institutions, to include all international embassies.
The report also said Belhaj had been identified as “a Libyan rebel and a moderate person who commands wide respect,” but Shoebat noted the source of that statement was “a leader with the Libyan Muslim Brotherhood” – Al-Amin Belhaj.
Also, Ali Sulaiman Aujali appeared at a convention for the Islamic Society of North America, widely considered a front group for the Muslim Brotherhood in America, and then vouched for Belhaj,
AND THEN EMAILS TELLING THEM TO “STAND DOWN”
Gingrich: Senator Told Me Networks Have Emails From White House Ordering Team to Stand Down on Benghazi Rescue. The White House nixed any requests for assistance in Benghazi. Tuesday a U.S. senator told him that at least two news networks have emails from the White House ordering a counterterrorism team to stand down on a rescue mission at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya. It’s a rumor — that at least two networks have emails from the National Security Adviser’s office telling a counterterrorism group to stand down,” Gingrich told Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren. “They were a group in real-time trying to mobilize Marines and C-130s and the fighter aircraft, and they were told explicitly by the White House ‘stand down and do nothing. This is not a terrorist action.’”
I’ve been told this by a fairly reliable U.S. senator, I think it raises enormous questions about the president’s role, Tom Donilon, the National Security Adviser’s role, the Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, who has taken it on his own shoulders, that he said don’t go. And I think that’s very dubious, given that the president said he had instructions they are supposed to do everything they could to secure American personnel.”
Gingrich said if accurate, it leaves two conclusions: that the secretary of defense usurped the commander in chief or that Obama never gave the order.